Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012


Where Am I?
Where am I? Well, I am approximately forty degrees fifty-two minutes one second north and ninety-eight degrees zero minutes fifty seconds west. To be a little more exact I am in the publication center of the Aurora high school. But, that’s not quite the right answer to this question. If it was, the answer would be infinite. You’re always somewhere different. Every step you take and every move you make leads you to a new position. You can be at home, school, work, mall, store, or just wondering around with friends. Mr. Sodomka would always be saying during our marching band season when we are practicing for a parade march: “Every step you take, you have a new audience.” In a way, it goes along with everything else. Because, no matter where you are and what you’re doing, you are constantly somewhere new. You can go from one state of mind at being in a place of peace to being in a place of stress and judgment. It’s everywhere you go.
When I think, “where am I”, I also tend to think, “Where am I heading” and “where do I want to go?” You can think that you are somewhere for so long, but eventually you’re going to have to move forward. Right now, I believe that I am where I want to be. I’m in my senior year at a great high school in a small town where I don’t have to fret about getting lost. I have a nice job and some great friends too. My grades are good and I have no worries of my coming senior year. Now I’m just in that place of “where am I heading?” I know where I want to head, but there is always the question: “Is it the right direction?” You’re always told that lots of people change their mind when they're in college; it’s just a part of figuring your life out. I want to be right the first time though. I don’t want to have to quit what I’m doing to do something different, just so I can start over. Luckily, I still have time to think about it. I’m in that point of school where the rest is just smooth sailing. I've gotten through the treacherous storms of my first three years of high school, now I can put the sail up and just float for while. When I graduate, I can drop anchor, hold still for awhile, and just rest.
The beginning of college will come soon, the sail will come down, and the ores will come out. I’ll be rested and ready to start my new voyage. I want to be an engineer in my future. More specifically, I want to be an electronic/computer engineer. My plan is to stay in Nebraska for college. I want to be able to be close to home so I can still visit now and then. I want to go to UNK and get a pre engineering degree along with a major in mathematics. After that, I will transfer to UNO where I will carry out the rest of my engineering degree. From now until then, I will have to steer my boat and keep it from going off track. However, once college is done, the sail can come up once again. I’ll have my degree and my optimal plans for a future. However, after that, I will go where ever the wind (hypothetically speaking) takes me. Whether it’s out of Nebraska or not, I’ll go there.
Where am I? I’m still right here, forty degrees fifty-two minutes one second north and ninety-eight degrees zero minutes fifty seconds west. Give or take a few seconds. Still in the same spot, same school, same city, and same state. I haven’t moved much. Now I’m just at the end of this essay, closer to the bottom of the page than I was when I started. My plans haven’t changed, and I am still on track. My future still lies ahead of me. New places and new faces lie ahead. Again, like Mr. Sodomka always says: “Every step you take, you have a new audience.” I also think that with every turn you make, creates a new journey. I always use to think how where you go is like a road. There are a lot of different curves and obstacles along the road you have to avoid. When there is a fork in the road you have to choose which path to take. Hopefully, by the time you get there, you’ll know which path to take.

1 comment:

  1. Guy,

    I finally got your blog on my blog list!! I don't know why I didn't have it there before. Weird. I am bummed I didn't have it on there, because you may have had more responses because your blog design is really cool.

    I love Mr. Sodomka's words. It is so very true. Every step we take is a new audience! And you are preparing for a new one very soon.

    I also liked your metaphor of sailing. I have always loved that metaphor because the ocean is so vast and seemingly empty (if you look out upon it). Of course, the StarTrek series also considers space in the same way with the ships/seafaring captain metaphors. It must be why I like that show and movies.

    Great work here. You will be a great engineer. Is it true you hacked the Huskie system in Middle School???? Wow. Impressive!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete